BOARD OF INQUIRY OF THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
DR. HENRY SWART
NOTICE OF HEARING
THE COUNCIL OF THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND (“Council”) has referred to a Board of Inquiry (“Board”) constituted under the provisions of Section 35 of the Medical Act, 1988, R.S.P.E.I. Cap MM-5, (“Act”) the allegations that Dr. Henry Swart (“Dr. Swart”), a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island has committed an act or acts of professional misconduct, as hereinafter set out:
- Under the regulations as enacted pursuant to Section 67 of the Act Dr. Swart did engage in conduct which constituted a failure to maintain the standards of practice of the medical profession by:
(a) Contrary to regulations XI-1(a) [failing to maintain accepted professional standards and procedures in the practice of medicine], XI-1(h) [engaging in conduct relevant to the practice of medicine that having regard to the circumstances would reasonably be regarded by Council as disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional] and XI-1(p) [providing a professional medical service without the consent of the patient if consent is required by law]:
(i) Performing a procedure to which Patient A explicitly instructed him not to perform and for which consent was required.
The Board will hold a Hearing under the authority of Sections 33 and 35 of the Act for the purposes of deciding whether Dr. Swart has committed an act or acts of professional misconduct as defined under the Act and Regulations.
The Hearing will be held at the office of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island, located at 14 Paramount Drive, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island commencing at 9:00 a.m. on March 26, 2019 and continuing until such time as is determined by the Board.
If Dr. Swart does not attend the Hearing, the Board may proceed in his absence and Dr. Swart will be given no further notice of the proceedings.
If the Board finds that Dr. Swart has committed an act or acts of professional misconduct, the Board may make one or more of the following findings authorized under Section 35 of the Act:
I. In the case of being found to be guilty of professional misconduct, the Board may recommend to Council that one or more of the following actions be taken:
- The license of the member be revoked, and that his name be stricken from the registers in which it is entered;
- The license of the member be suspended (A) for a fixed period, or (B) for an indefinite period until the occurrence of some specified future event;
- Restrictions be imposed on the license of the member for such period and on such conditions as the Board designates;
- The member be reprimanded, and, if deemed warranted, that the fact of reprimand be entered in the registers in which his name is entered;
- Such fine as the Board considers appropriate to a maximum of $25,000.00 be paid by the member to the College; or
- The imposition of a penalty be suspended for such period and upon such terms as the Board considers appropriate.
The College intends to introduce as business records in accordance with the Evidence Act, R.S.P.E.I. 1988, Cap E-11, including any writings or records that were made in the usual and ordinary course of Dr. Swart’s consultations with and treatment of Patient A. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the College intends to introduce as business records copies of letters of Council to Dr. Swart and reports concerning Dr. Swart, all of which have been disclosed to Dr. Swart.
Dr. Swart is entitled to disclosure of the evidence against him or of other information in the College’s knowledge and possession. Disclosure can be obtained by Dr. Swart or his counsel or agent through the office of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island at 14 Paramount Drive, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1E 0C7, telephone 902-566-3861.