Please be aware that due to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency our office at 14 Paramount Drive is closed to the Public until further notice.
Contact will be by telephone or email during working hours.
Essential services will be maintained.
For Students/Residents, the College will do the following:
- Graduating students moving into residency shall be issued a licence on Part I of the Education Register as usual.
- Physicians/Surgeons finishing their residency shall be registered on the Temporary & Limited Register on presentation of the following:
- A document from the Postgraduate Dean confirming successful completion of training, and
- A letter from the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada, or the College of Family Physicians of Canada, confirming eligibility to write the certification examinations when available.
**The decision on supervision will be made later, but is expected to be minimal.
**The Resident/physician shall apply to write at the earliest opportunity.
All persons who intend to practise medicine in Prince Edward Island must be registered and licensed by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island (Medical Act 1988).
Beginning Monday, February 6, 2017 physicians applying for a licence to practice in PEI must apply online through physiciansapply.ca. Paper application forms will NOT be accepted after March 13, 2017.
A physician who is a graduate of a Canadian Medical School and possesses Canadian qualifications ( Certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the College of Family Physicians of Canada) or who have other qualifications acceptable to Council for a full licence as listed in the Medical Act and Regulations may apply directly to the College.
A “written expression of interest” or “job offer” from the government is required to apply to the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Prince Edward Island OR you must hold a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC) and Canadian Certification (CFPC, RCPSC).
Please check the Government website at www.healthjobspei.ca for further information.
To apply for a Medical Education licence (Resident) contact either the College or Health PEI: Medical Education Department.
Please read carefully as the application and credentialing fees are non-refundable.
REGISTRATION AND LICENSING REQUIREMENTS IN PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
** Any of the following documents held with the physiciansapply.ca repository does not need to be sent to the College if access is given.
1. Application and credentialing payment through physiciansapply.ca effective February 6, 2017. Paper application forms will NOT be accepted after March 13, 2017.
2. Access to your physiciansapply.ca account for your verified documents and exam results.
3. C.V. consisting of a chronological list of professional appointments and qualifications, current to the date of the application.
4. MD Degree Certificate or evidence of degree standing or other registrable qualifications **
5. LMCC Certificate showing Licentiate number or – Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Exam and/or – Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam Part I and/or – Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam Part II **
6. Certification in – Family Medicine (CFPC) or – Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada or – Other Specialist Certificates, Diplomas or Qualifications **
7. Notarized copy of Birth Certificate or other evidence of date of birth **
8. Evidence of Canadian citizenship or proof of legal entitlement to live and work in Canada **
9. Evidence of fluency in English (CPSPEI Language Proficiency Policy, December 2015) **
If your application is approved we will need the following before your licence can be issued:
10. Original Notarized Photo: original picture, current within -3- years, preferably passport sized and notarized by a Notary Public AND
11. If being sponsored, a letter from Health PEI confirming position, location and dates of work on PEI
12. Certificates of Conduct – from every jurisdiction in which the physician held a licence or practiced medicine in the previous –5– years (including Educational and locum licences). Certificates are only valid for –3– months from the date of issue and must be sent directly to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of PEI from the licensing body or regulatory authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Our legislation requires a licenced physician to be a member of the Medical Society of Prince Edward Island. Their contact information is found at the following link https://mspei.org/
PLEASE NOTE: If you currently hold a corporation in another jurisdiction and intend to use your corporation while you are in PEI, our legislation requires you to licence and register your corporation with us. Incorporation in one province doesn’t necessarily cover income in other provinces and CRA could penalize you if you’re not registered in PEI.
Further Requirements for International Medical Graduates:
International Medical Graduates must provide an Official Transcript ** showing completion of medical courses, or a certificate from the Faculty of the Medical School attesting completion and graduation, and showing examined subjects.
- FULL-TIME licence: if applying for a FULL-TIME licence International Medical Graduates must have:
- MD Degree (or equivalent) and all Specialist Certificates/Diploma’s verified by physiciansapply.ca and acceptable to Council ….. and
- the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE) or the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Exam Part I (MCCQE I)….. along with
- all the above “Requirements for Registration and Licensure”
- FULL licence: if applying for a FULL licence, International Medical Graduates must have:
- full Canadian certifications (LMCC and either CFPC or RCPC) ….. along with
- all the above “Requirements for Registration and Licensure”
All physicians who intend to practice medicine in Prince Edward Island must be registered and licenced by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Prince Edward Island (Medical Act 1988).
Contact and mailing information https://cpspei.ca/contact/
2020 Payment Schedule, set by Council (may change without notice)
- Establishing an account with MCC: to be determined by MCC
- Submitting an Application: to be determined by MCC
- Credentialing Fee: $400 to CPSPEI
- Registration (once only): $300.00
- Updating Credentialing Fee: $100.00
- Full Year License Fee: $1950.00
- Locum Tenens 10 consecutive weeks: $ 480.00
- Locum Tenens 16 consecutive week extension: $ 755.00
- Medical Education – (For Residents only- if prescribing): $ 50.00
- Out of Province Visiting Consultant Licence Fee: $ 50.00
Physicians applying for a licence to practice in PEI must apply online through physiciansapply.ca. An account will have to be created, if not already done, which will allow the physicians to complete and submit the Application and pay the applicable fees (by Visa or MasterCard) online.
To create an account, go to www.physiciansapply.ca and follow the instructions.